In and around People’s Square
People’s Square is Shanghai’s official centre and the intersection of the two most popular metro lines (lines 1 & 2) as well as the two major overhead highways. People’s square is home to many museums, theatres, hotels and other tourist destinations, so it can sometimes feel a little overwhelming. Although it is extremely convenient to reach the rest of the city, particular China’s most famous shopping street, Nanjing East Rd, it only offers limited expat-orientated housing option.
Pros for living in People’s Square
- Large commercial and touristy area – plenty of shopping and entertainment
- Many cultural attractions
- Convenient transport system
Why is People’s Square not such a good choice?
- Lots of people, noise and congested traffic
- Many tourists
- Limited western housing developments